Exodus 20:12 “Honor your father and mother: that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”
My daddy, my earthly father was a man of little words. His heart was a kind man, who loved his family, but He was a man of little expression, and easy going, in his talking, I would always hear him say “yea” and “nay” and that was just about the end of his speaking, the rest was listening. My dad who was a preacher, I believed let God use him as God had purposed to use him. And on that day when my Dad went home to glory, I walked into the hospital room door, my Dad lying in the hospital bed, said “Jesus is here”, I was there right at the time “Jesus” came for my daddy. I believed because I am a PK, I am very in tune to the call of service upon my life that God has purposed for me. I am thankful to God for all the things that He has allowed to touch my life, even the bad as well as the good. For if it was not for the bad, I would not have never recognized the good in my life. Sometime I would see my dad looking at me almost like he feared what the future would bring. But then he would drop his head, probably he was talking to God. A safe place that I would find my self in every morning is looking upon my dad on his knees praying, there was never a morning missed, unless I was still asleep. My dad always sat in the house and read the scriptures around the fireplace, he was always the first one out the door for church on Sunday mornings. The prayers of my dad have kept me close to God. My Dad prayed for me. Jesus prayed to the Heavenly Father for me. My daddy, my earthly father taught me how to live my life by example. Here are a few examples of how a father can teach his children.
- A father needs to teach God to his children at home, around the eating table, he should talk about the goodness of God while in the house, when his children go to bed at night and when they rise in the morning, also the father should talk about God to his children when they walk down the streets. The father should bind God’s words on their hands so that God’s word will be right in front of their eyes. “Deuteronomy 6:4-9” ( God bracelets, Jesus bracelets, bible verses, and prayers) on their body. Also, put a Plaque on the doorpost of your home. “Joshua 24:15” “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” Jewels of Nuggets “sprinkle your heart with the blood of Jesus (It is the blood on the door of your heart)
- A father needs to be diligent in instructing his children in the ways and words of the Lord for their own spiritual development and well being. A father who is obedient to the scriptures will train his children up as “Proverbs 22:6” says. “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it”. A father is to educate a child early in the way he/she is to live their life according to the scriptures.
- A father should not irritate his children to anger. “Ephesians 6:4.” He is not to foster negativity in his children by severity punishment, injustice, partiality, the unreasonable exercise of authority. A father should educate his children and bring them up, develop their conduct in all of life by the instruction and admonition of the Lord. If a father should use harsh unreasonable conduct toward a child it will only serve to nurture evil in the heart.
- The Christian father is a mold in God’s hand to be shaped to discipline his children after the example of God himself. The whole process of instructions and discipline should be the way that God commands in the Holy Scriptures so that His authority will be constant and immediate in the heart, mind, conscience of children. A father should never allow the source of instruction and discipline he uses to be his very own way, a father source of growing up his children should be God’s way according to the Bible truth and authority.
- “All scriptures are God-breathed and are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16-17). A father first responsibility is to acquaint his children with scriptures. The means and methods the father may use to teach God’s truth will vary. When a father is faithful in role modeling, so what the children learn about God will put them in good standing throughout their earthly lives, no matter what they do or where they go.
Well, another Jewel of Nuggets for the Soul. Praise the Lord!